Bart Smaalders gave a very interesting presentation at the Oracle Solaris Summit (LISA 10).
He's detailing the motivation and the need for IPS (Image Packaging System) in Solaris 11:
- Challenges with SVR4 packages and patches after using it for almost two decades
- Limitations of SVR4 packages
- Impact of old package and patch technology to software development and release process
- Design Patterns applied to IPS
- New software deployment models
A must see for everyone interested in the future of Solaris